[OSM-dev] Using native social SDK for signing in to OSM on mobile

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Mon Dec 28 18:39:38 UTC 2015

> 25 дек. 2015 г., в 8:36, Ineiev <ineiev at gnu.org> написал(а):
>
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 01:55:06PM +0300, Ilya Zverev wrote:
>> My answer is, absolutely. If a random person walking with their phone adds
>> opening hours or marks a shop closed, I don't care if she/he is a part of
>> community or not.
>
> What if they add copyright-encumbered data as well?

What if a person with a desktop editor and access to thousands of mapping portals and paper maps starts adding copyright-encumbered data? It is much easier from a desktop than from a mobile editor. Should we ban JOSM, since it is used for most questionable imports and copyright violations?

>> I think it's time to stop taking OSM for a playground of a few geo-geeks.
>> There are thousands of people who fall for "free and open wiki map", and
>> millions who don't care, but who use our map and want to have the freshest
>> data on it.
>
> I'm used to think that OSM is _the_ project for those who care; for those
> who don't, there is plenty of other possibilities, isn't it?

It was. It still is, but the definition of "care" is much wider now. HOT attracts people who care not about the map, but about refugees and crisis victims. With a wider mobile reach we can attract people caring about their neighbourhood accessible in a mapping application, but who don't care which map it is. For now, other mapping projects are luring these people, so why can't we?

IZ