[OSM-dev] Which is best for this task, osmosis, osmconvert osmupdate or...

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Dec 30 08:57:17 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 12/30/2015 01:02 AM, Dave F. wrote:
> A couple of problems with that, I'm afraid. Firstly they don't provide
> my area & secondly I'm trying to avoid large downloads like the 670mb
> England file & amendment files for data I'm never going to need. Is
> there not a way to work just within a user specified polygon?

There's no service I know that would deliver updates for an user defined
area (only). It is however possible to apply updates for a larger area
to your extract if you cut away the extra stuff afterwards again, i.e.
the workflow being:

(once) download UK, or Europe, or world
(once) cut out your area of interest
(regularly) apply UK, or Europe, or world updates to your area of
interest yielding a file with your area of interest plus bits and bobs
around the world
(regularly) cut out your area of interest from the "area of interest
plus bits and bobs around the world" file

Of course if the area you are interested in is *so* small that even
downloading the too-large diffs each day will seem like a waste, then
I'd recommend to simply download the full area from Overpass regularly.

Bye
Frederik