[OSM-dev] Application for Google Summer of Code 2015

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 21:32:41 UTC 2015

I certainly don't object to you doing all the grunt work :-) I have a
concrete project, that would be really cool if we'd be able to get it
started as a GSoC project: a plugin for JOSM to enable working with
Mapillary pictures.

I said I'd like to attempt it (that even made it to WeeklyOSM...), but I'm
not able to pull it off. Not being a Java developer and such proves to be
more of a handicap, than I had hoped.

Me and Holger did outline what we'd like to see implemented in the plugin
and we're trying to get started on it, but I'm lacking the ability and he's
lacking the time.

Still I think a student who does know his way around Java, Eclipse and SVN
wouldn't have much trouble doing it and he will certainly be supported by
the other developers of JOSM when he asks questions on the mailing list.

Do you think such a project makes a good chance to be chosen as a GSoC
project? And are we likely to find a student interested in it? (I can look
for a student in the university of my home town, and I'm sure I'll meet
people who'd be able to do the same in The Netherlands where I'm going to
the Missing Maps hackathon tomorrow).

Of course, we can look in many universities around the world. I can
communicate in English, Spanish, French and even though I cannot really
help the student out with development questions, I can do some follow up of
the project).

I'd also be interested to develop the plugin further and maintain it after
the GSoC ends.

Polyglot