[OSM-dev] pgmapcss version 0.10.0

Stephan Bösch-Plepelits skunk at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jan 4 10:45:40 UTC 2015

Read this on the blog: http://pgmapcss.openstreetbrowser.org/blog/?p=59

The new version 0.10 brings a new database backend, which also became the new
default: Overpass API. The main advantage is, that no local OpenStreetMap
database import is necessary, as (by default) the public API at overpass-api.de
is used. A local database is needed nonetheless (e.g., for access to the
PostGIS functions, caching, and connecting to Mapnik). The background rendering
of the OpenStreetBrowser[1] is already using the new Overpass backend (with a
local Overpass installation). For details about the database backends see the
file database.md[2].

[1] http://openstreetbrowser.org/
[2] https://github.com/plepe/pgmapcss/blob/master/doc/database.md

Most other changes were “under-the-hood”, e.g. the database backend access has
been re-structured and documented, the osm2pgsql database backend can optimize
some relationship queries and so on. See the CHANGELOG[3] file for details or
the git log[4].

[3] https://github.com/plepe/pgmapcss/blob/master/CHANGELOG.creole
[4] https://github.com/plepe/pgmapcss/compare/v0.9.0...v0.10.0

Get the source here: https://github.com/plepe/pgmapcss/releases/tag/v0.10.0

For the next version there are already some interesting features in queue. Most
importantly, I’m planning to process the objects partly parallel, so that an
object may read changed values of a related feature (either because of
parent-child relation or by geographic proximity). See issue #102[5] for
details and progress.

[5] https://github.com/plepe/pgmapcss/issues/102

Have fun with the new version.

greetings,
	Stephan
--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich