[OSM-dev] Automated map of contributions

Derick Rethans osm at derickrethans.nl
Fri Jan 16 11:40:42 UTC 2015

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:

> For a few months I've made static maps by looking at changesets and
> putting down a marker on PNG roughly based on the centerpoint of
> changeset on a map. I've done this for Iceland and Botswana, both
> sparsely populated countries so the volume has been manageable.
>
> 4 examples here from Botswana:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mapping%20Botswana/diary

I've something similar at https://vimeo.com/102661438 - i don't have the
scripts for that published yet.

> Now the 1 year of edits video http://vimeo.com/83164362 is of course
> really inspiring.

Thanks :-)

> My query is thus:
>
> a) Does a tool exist which can create a static map of a single country for a
> given time period in the manner of the video (my PNG created "by magic")

I have scripts for that, and they are all up on github:

for the "year in edits" videos:

 - https://github.com/derickr/osm-year-in-edits

for progress videos like https://vimeo.com/102170834:

 - https://github.com/derickr/osm-progress

Note: They're massively tailored to my environment :-/

cheers,
Derick