[OSM-dev] [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] Guix + GNUnet: what’s next

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Thu Jul 2 21:58:52 UTC 2015

Hi!

Following the discussion about using GNUnet for software package
distribution I started thinking about what kind of data *read access*
traces matter to people's privacy.
Map data bumped into my mind, because it's obvious that where one
zooms down and the places one searches for tell alot about ones
life.
Thus it might be desireable for users to access map data anonymously
e.g. using GNUnet.

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 10:32:25PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > It’s easy to test this feature:
> >
> >     # create a `test` ego/namespace
> >     $ gnunet-identity -C test
> >
> >     # list the known egos in the form: `name - public key`
> >     $ gnunet-identity -d
> >     test - M2OC987U9LFJHQ8LC9SLCV4Q0ONHJV7FMTFQ2VRPE0M9R9MK5860
> >     …
> >
> >     # index the file `foo.txt` under the `test` namespace
> >     $ gnunet-publish -P test -t foobarbaz foo.txt
> >
> >     # find the file `foo.txt`
> >     $ gnunet-search gnunet://fs/sks/M2OC987U9LFJHQ8LC9SLCV4…/foobarbaz
> >     #0:
> >     gnunet-download -o "foo.txt" gnunet://fs/chk/PL217ODD8EDSMOIQ3UT0…
> >
> > Now if Alice wants to publish her binaries, she creates an ego/namespace
> > and publishes everything under it; Bob adds her namespace’s public key
> > to his authorized substitutes list, and when installing `/gnu/store/xyz`
> > the substitute will search for `gnunet://fs/sks/<Alice’s key>/xyz`.
> >
> > Instead of publishing an archive we might also directly publish/index
> > the build, but I don’t know if it’s viable.
> >
> > Does it seem right to you?
>
> Sounds good!  I wasn’t use whether the ID passed to ‘gnunet-publish -t’
> could be used as a key to look up the data, but that seems to be the
> case.

This sounds very useful eg. for Planet.osm distribution.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm
It's already available via BitTorrent
http://www.mantlik.cz/tracker/torrent_functions.php
but the regions are very large and thus the files are too...

Anonymous access to local OSM data as well as (cached) rendered map
tiles would greatly improve users privacy, obviously...

I'd greatly appreciaty a discussion on how Planet.osm can make it
into GNUnet and how that API could be promoted to the application
development community.

(I'm aware that one can just use TOR to access OSM, but that would
still allow a sufficiently resourceful 3rd party to associate the
timing of TCP connections on both ends and de-anonymize TOR users)

Cheers

Daniel