[OSM-dev] Simplified osm2pgsql database dump available

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Jul 12 04:02:53 UTC 2015

To help with some OpenStreetMap carto development work, I've created a
dump of the rendering tables with certain features removed, for testing
at low zoom. This allows someone to load the database if using a machine
incapable of importing the planet, and the dropped features cut the
database size in half.

It is available at http://tile.paulnorman.ca/planet-lz-150202.dump, but
before downloading please read the notes below

- Buildings without a name, amenity, shop, or similar tag have been removed

- Residential roads have been removed

- It comes with no indexes. To create the indexes, do

CREATE INDEX ON planet_osm_point USING GIST (way) WITH (fillfactor = 100);
CREATE INDEX ON planet_osm_line USING GIST (way) WITH (fillfactor = 100);
CREATE INDEX ON planet_osm_polygon USING GIST (way) WITH (fillfactor = 100);
CREATE INDEX ON planet_osm_roads USING GIST (way) WITH (fillfactor = 100);

- Don't try to download this from your browser, as it is 26GB

- I *will* be removing this dump from my server at some point.

- The dump has been generated with pg_dump from PostgreSQL 9.4 in the
pg_dump "custom" format. To get 9.4 on Debian or Ubuntu based systems,
see https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt

- The dump is based on the planet dump from 150202 and is not current

- The database size is about 50GB after loading