[OSM-dev] OpenStreetMap Data Extracts

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Jun 17 20:04:03 UTC 2015

On 6/17/2015 8:54 AM, iadh aboud wrote:
> I'm working on a project an i need to use extracts from oms.
> After downloading the extract, how can i use it ? (I'm using C#)
> I found several APIs but they are poorly documented.
> Any help would by more than welcome.

The short answer: it depends.

You can either

1. Load the extract into a database. This is often the best option,
using a tool like osm2pgsql, imposm, or others, which will allow you to
render and do GIS analysis on it.

2. Use some other existing conversion tool or take apart one. e.g. a osm
to shapefile converter.

3. Use a library like libosmium to parse the data yourself. libosmium is
C++ and I'm not aware of C# options.

4. Write your own parser.

It really depends on what you're trying to do. As you go down the list
you require increasing knowledge of how OSM data is tagged, the data
model, and file formats.