[OSM-dev] GSoC: OpenGL view for JOSM

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Mar 18 22:09:24 UTC 2015

On 3/18/2015 2:59 PM, Wiktor Niesiobedzki wrote:
> 1. Do you have any benchmarks, that OpenGL / Vertex Buffer Objects
> outperform 2d drawing, when we need only to draw simple lines?
> 2. Have you tried to profile JOSM (for example - with visualvm) and
> confirmed, that it's 2d API, that lacks the performance?
He did some basic benchmarks of line-drawing which he posted to the
josm-dev list:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/josm-dev/2015-March/007275.html

The differences are pretty impressive, going from a 14s draw to a 6s
draw for a big area
and 600ms to 300ms for a small area. There's also reason to believe that
the times
could be brought down to about 10%-20% of the existing 2d implementation.