[OSM-dev] GSOC introduction and project question (OSM2World)

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sun Mar 22 00:27:37 UTC 2015

Hello Laco,

On 21.03.2015 17:42, Laco Pápay wrote:
> I'm interested in the "Recording and Playback of Camera Movement in
> OSM2World" project. I believe both the main task itself and the task
> extensions noted there (smoothing, GPX import) could be implemented
> within the GSOC timeframe.

I agree: As long as there are no major delays, this is absolutely
possible within the timeframe.

> I would like to ask the project mentors (Peda and Tordanik) what they
> consider the most important part of the project and the possible first
> step. I think it would be best to start with the GUI, with the option
> to record and playback the motion within the GUI itself. Then the next
> step would be to import GPX tracks and use the existing playback for
> debugging.

For me, recording and playback from the graphical interface, plus
writing video files composed of OpenGL-rendered images, are absolutely
must-have. It would also be nice to expose most of the functionality
from the command line interface. This is perhaps not the best first
step, though.

So your plan seems sound, as long as this is done with some advance
planning so the later tasks don't cause issues with the software
architecture.

Tobias