[OSM-dev] Request more information about GSoC the project: JOSM Plugin to work with Mapillary images

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:07:08 UTC 2015

Hi Michelle,

Sorry for the late response. I missed your message somehow.

Did you already try to make some pictures and a GPX track, then use JOSM?
Load the GPX track, click right mouse button, import pictures.

Then click on one of those pictures. A new window will open, where one can
browse from one picture to the next/previous.

This is more or less what the plugin should provide, but instead with
pictures which come from Mapillary.com for the area in view (when zoomed in
far enough).

The other 'exercise' you could do is install the Mapillary app on a
smartphone, create an account and go out to make some pictures. Upload them
and go to view the area on Mapillary.com.

Click one of the pictures, then the Information icon, then edit with iD.
Now you get an editor in your browser. You have to manually switch on the
'Mapillary layer'. (It would be nice if iD could do that for you, but alas).

Once the layer is activated you can click on the pictures to view them.

Unfortunately there is no way to follow a sequence with iD.

The other disadvantage is that it's not easy to use custom aerial imagery
and a lot of other handy tools we have in JOSM are missing as well.

So enabling download of Mapillary pictures in the current viewport to a
cache
Then visualizing them on the background, showing their 'orientation'
Then providing the possibility to look at them one picture at a time
Then having some handy controls to get from one to the next

Is more or less the basis of the assignment.

When these things have become possible, the next step may be the following:

Allow the possibility to update the geolocation of the picture (GPS devices
are not always very accurate).
Allow the possibility to update the 'orientation' of the picture (the
internal compass in consumer phones is on the slow side)
Updating the orientation of the picture could be done with +/- or up/down
left/right arrows on the keyboard. Another possibility might be the use of
a draggable 'helper' node, then calculate the directionality.

Keep track of these changes in a sort of changeset and allow this
information to be fed back to Mapillary using their API. The team at
Mapillary is very approachable and they can be contacted in case of
problems. Authentication happens over oAuth.

The next step after that, may be to allow blurring/unblurring as well.

And if time allows, it may be possible to allow updating of recognised
traffic signs and possibly an interaction with the roadsigns plugin. But
that is low priority at best.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Jo