[OSM-dev] Osm2pgsql 0.87.3 release

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Fri May 1 12:32:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 11:32:34AM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 04/30/2015 10:41 PM, Paul Norman wrote:
> > - --without-lockfree is no longer needed on OS X, BSD and some Linux
> >   distributions and architectures. This should simplify downstream build
> >   scripts for multi-architecture builds and improve speed on any OS that
> >   required the option before.
> >
> > [...]
> > I’m particularly interested if package maintainers have concerns.
>
> Because GitHub issue #231 wasn't resolved again, I didn't think the
> lockfree issue was fully addressed in this release and therefor didn't
> remove the option on the problematic architectures initially.

As far as I understood the ticket, it is boost here that doesn't have
its dependencies right, i.e linking against boost_atomic in
osm2pgsql is more of a workaround for broken boost installations than
an actual necessity.

If you have to patch the Debian build anyways, it might be better to
add the additional link dependency than adding --without-lockfree.
At the very least it would be intersting to know if it resolves the issues.

Sarah