[OSM-dev] nominatim 'boundingbox' field. Recently changed?

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Thu May 21 17:00:48 UTC 2015

I had a bit of code which was using the boundingbox field of the nominatim response

I'd swear something seemed to change a couple of weeks ago. It now returns a zero sized boundingbox, where previously it returned something more useful. e.g. for any "suburb" match:
http://open.mapquestapi.com/nominatim/v1/search.php?format=json&q=Herne+Hill,+London

My code's pointed at mapquest, but I see the same problem on osm's instance.
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?format=json&q=Herne+Hill,+London

Still getting a sensible bounding box for cities and for ways and various other things, but these suburbs used to be working. Anyone else noticed this change? I guess I'll work around it ...unless it's an easy one for nominatim folks to fix somehow.

Harry