[OSM-dev] New Map Style feedback

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 2 08:40:21 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-01 18:09, Amaroussi (OpenStreetMap) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been gathering thoughts from the talk-gb list and my main
> concern now is how the tertiary roads are shown, especially in
> countries where people map roads according to quality and hierarchy
> (and there are more than one). In Greece, tertiary roads connect all
> villages while in Thailand, tertiary roads have an important use in
> referring to roads with four digit numbers.
>
> While I believe that the new rendering has potential, I am suggesting
> that in order to resolve concerns about the portrayal of tertiary
> roads, the motorways on the mainstream style should be blue, purple or
> violet instead of the current shade of rose. This would free up rose
> for trunk roads, red for primary roads and so on until yellow for
> tertiary.

I agree that the abandonging of the blue for motorways is a bad choice.
It is not only a british color, motorways are signalled in blue also in
lots of other countries in europe.
But that is not really the issue. It is not that a colorscheme should
follow the colorscheme of a particular country per se. The current color
scheme just makes it hard to distinguish roads. Teritary roads, being
white, are all but unrecognizable. Looking at motorways, trunk roads or
primary roads, I can not tell one from the other, except when I see two
next to eachother.
Furthermore, on high zooms, roads have gotten too fat. It makes the map
look bulky.

The colorscheme for roads is defintely a step back from the previous.

Regards,
Maarten