[OSM-dev] Truncating geometries

GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 9 10:19:43 UTC 2015

Malcolm Herring wrote
> Are there any tools out there that will properly truncate ways &
> multipolygons at bounding box boundaries, keeping closed ways &
> mutipolygons as properly formed areas?

The tile splitter for mkgmap
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/doc/splitter.html
is able to extract all data from a planet file which is
relevant for a given bounding box. That means
it can be configured to write all relations and ways
which may touch the bbox or enclose it without
having any point in the bbox itself.
The output is OSM format , but you still need a tool which
truncates each line / area. The code for mkgmap
could be a base for that, but I guess there are other
tools which are not that specialized and therefore
easier to adapt.

Gerd