[OSM-dev] Registering on osm.org with a social account

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Nov 12 15:21:52 UTC 2015

On 12/11/15 13:58, Ilya Zverev wrote:

> We at maps.me (well, me alone for now) are looking into simplifying OSM sign up process on mobile devices. As you know, the current process, which involves opening a browser, then opening a mail app, then opening a browser again, then returning to an app and entering credentials once again, is quite disruptive. But since we already support linking accounts to social login services (like Facebook and MS Live), there are few things that could simplify registering users on mobile. I wrote some thoughts on hackpad:
>
> https://hackpad.com/Facebook-Registation-for-OSM.org-4MI6M5EeeRh

Well there are many, many things wrong about that document.

Firstly for social signup it is better to click the button on the login
page, not start from the signup page. Yes that isn't good design and we
really need to merge the two.

Secondly, we already prefill the email if the service provides it, so no
need to enter it once, let alone twice. In fact in some cases we even
trust the email without verifying it.

There's also no requirement to enter a password if you use social signup
and I believe the page makes that clear.

Basically if you click a social login button on the login page then your
"alternate flow" is pretty much what already happens.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/