[OSM-dev] Height information in OSM

Peter Barth osm-peda at won2.de
Tue Nov 17 13:32:47 UTC 2015

Hi Phani,

Phanindra Kuchipudi schrieb:
> Can anyone
> help me in understanding how to model a city in 3D using OSM data where
> height tag is not so common.

you should have a look at the Simple 3D Buildings tagging schema:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_3D_buildings

> Is there anyone working on 3D mapping? if so
> how could you get the height information for the features?

There are many possible ways to get height informations and everyone's
using another way. It also depends on your hardware. However, the
easiest way is to just use the number of floors a building has + a
estimate on floor heights.

Btw, your question is probably better placed on the talk mailing list,
as you'd reach more mappers there. This is the dev mailing list,
dedicated for development questions.

Have fun mapping 3D ;)
Peda