[OSM-dev] Why is ford=yes not rendered in the default style?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Nov 27 09:16:21 UTC 2015

On 27/11/15 08:13, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> - Whatever DB design is used now is considered to be unable to store more
> attributes without changing the DB design.

No that's not true, More attributes can be added, but only when a full
reload is done.

I mean we could add the extra columns to the existing database, but they
would only get populated for changes made after that date and wouldn't
be backfilled with values for existing objects.

In theory somebody could write something to read the planet and backfill
those columns but I don't believe it exists currently.

> - it was decided that the new design has to use hstore

No, it was decided that it probably makes sense to use hstore for the
less common attributes because it means you're not creating lots of
columns that are mostly empty.

Whether hstore or new columns are used doesn't really matter - in either
case adding the column without a reload would mean the data was missing
for existing objects.

> - nobody has made progress understanding how hstore works since then.

I have no idea why you think this. We understand perfectly well how it
works and plenty of people have stylesheets using it.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/