[OSM-dev] Extracting map regions

Stadin, Benjamin Benjamin.Stadin at heidelberg-mobil.com
Wed Sep 16 07:31:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

I want to import planet.osm into a Postgresql db (I'm considering to use imposm for the import). Once I have the whole planet imported, I need to extract many small regions (say max 5km * 5km max). The area is user-definable in my case, it can be any boundary with mentioned maximum size.

I'm interested in how regional / metro extracts are done for the cities provided at the OSM download page, what options there are (especially performance-wise) and what I need to take care of otherwise when extracting regions (missing relationships when clipping, routing network issues, or else).

~Ben