[OSM-dev] Changeset metadata timestamps out of sync?

Martin Raifer tyr.asd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 14:35:43 UTC 2016

I noticed that the timestamps in the changeset metadata doesn't
exactly match the timestamps of their created, modified or deleted
data in some recent changesets. In the affected changesets, the
timestamps of the data objects are a couple of seconds earlier than
the reported changeset-opening times. This shouldn't be possible,
right?

For example, the website reports that changeset 41146302 is opened at
"2016-07-31T14:13:42Z", but it's node has a timestamp of exactly 4
seconds earlier: "2016-07-31T14:13:38Z" (the API reports the same
numbers, see http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/changeset/41146302
vs. http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/changeset/41146302/download)

Here are a few more examples of affected changesets:
* http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/41192003
* http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/41190900
* http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/41190815
* http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/41146301
* http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/40490989

I've checked a few samples, and it looks like as if about 20-25% of
recent changesets are affected, but none if looking back more than a
couple of weeks (the last example above was about the earliest
affected changeset I could find).

Now, unfortunately this small mismatch interferes with some data
analysis tools that rely on precise timestamps, for example achavi
(https://github.com/nrenner/achavi).

Does anyone have a clue what could have caused this?

Greetings,
Martin