[OSM-dev] Numeric OSM tag keys

Stadin, Benjamin Benjamin.Stadin at heidelberg-mobil.com
Fri Aug 5 11:51:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

What is the allowed syntax for OSM tag keys? Is there actually a
restriction, like OSM tag keys must follow common variable name syntax?

I’m asking because I hope there are no „integer“ / pure numeric keys
allowed for tag keys, because I want to use a static compression for most
popular key / value combinations. So in my tags table (actually I use
FlatBuffers, but for example) I’d store „0“ as key, „“ (empty string) as
value for the most popular key / value combination building=yes.

Regards
Ben