[OSM-dev] Tile usage without proper identification

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 12 11:34:05 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-12 13:14, Paul Norman wrote:
> The usage policy for tile.openstreetmap.org requires that users send a
> valid user-agent[1], or, in the case of a web browser, a HTTP Referer.
> Ops are looking into automatically rate limiting clients violating this
> part of the policy.[2]

I have wondered about this. Does rate limiting now not occur? I have
seen a lot of times that the map in the JOSM downloadscreen gets slow if
you pan around a lot or use it a lot to download lots of small areas.
Also the mapnik overlay has this issue.

Of course this can also be due to other issues.

Regards,
Maarten