[OSM-dev] Tile usage without proper identification

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 17:11:09 UTC 2016

On 12 August 2016 at 16:32, Komяpa <me at komzpa.net> wrote:
> What are the plans to scale the tile provision infrastructure?

We should be clear here - we have more than enough capacity to handle
all the traffic generated by our mappers, editing software and every
website run by the OSMF, local chapters and local mapping groups.
Several times over.

We've always allowed other people to use our spare capacity on the
tileservers, but recently it's got completely out of hand. Most of the
use of our tileservers has become developers looking for free maps,
nothing to do with the rest of the project. Often these are commercial
companies who are using our tileservers and selling their apps.
Subsidising commercial companies isn't the best use of community
donations and volunteer sysadmin time, when there are many alternative
services (such as those run by CartoDB, Stamen, etc) that provide
zero-cost map layers based on OSM data anyway.

We do have plans to scale the tile infrastructure later in the year
(cascading an old database server), in addition to the current process
making sure that our OSMF tileservers are being mainly used for
OpenStreetMap related projects.

Thanks,
Andy