[OSM-dev] Nominatim Index bloat? Try pgindexrebuild, a production friendly index debloater

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Aug 19 14:11:15 UTC 2016

On 8/19/2016 4:30 AM, Rory McCann wrote:
> Although I'm using this often, I'm always open to suggestions about
> braindead things I might be doing. ☺ Suggestions welcome!

It's good to see commands for a concurrent reindex scripted.

For rendering tables I'd recommend pausing updates, creating a new
ordered table, building indexes on the new table, then putting the new
table in place. The reclustering adds performance beyond what a reindex
does.
http://paulnorman.ca/blog/2016/06/improving-speed-with-reclustering/ has
example SQL.

For slim tables, I'd probably just pause updates and REINDEX.

http://reorg.github.io/pg_repack/ would be interesting on the slim
tables but can't operate on the rendering tables.