[OSM-dev] http://overpass-api.de/ seems to be down on Saturday 20.08.2016 at 19:09

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Aug 20 19:43:34 UTC 2016

On 20/08/16 19:51, mmd wrote:
> Am 20.08.2016 um 19:09 schrieb Oleksiy Muzalyev:
>> http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/overpass-api.de also shows that the
>> site is down.
>>
> Someone is flooding the server with an exceptionally high number of
> requests/s since about 02:00 GMT this Saturday. It seems that this is
> mainly affecting the Apache server, while the database itself is still
> up and running.
>
> CC: Roland
>
> br,

Thank you for the information.

I hope these flooding requests are not  coming from my
http://ausleuchtung.ch/geo_wiki/ . It still works by finding Wikipedia
articles on the map by coordinates from the articles themselves via the
MediaWIki API, but it does not work today by finding articles via OSM
/wikipedia/, /wikidata/, and /wikimedia_commons/ tags, as Overpass API
is not answering. And I am getting e-mails about it.

This web-application works for all language versions of Wikipedia, not
only major languages, but all for which functions the MediaWIki API.

brgds

O.M.