[OSM-dev] Tile usage without proper identification

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 23 15:14:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 08/23/2016 04:45 PM, Manuel Reimer wrote:
> For privacy reasons all my browsers don't send a Referrer.

It is a valuable information for us who's using our tiles (not who as in
you-the-individual, but who as in the site you are visiting that points
your browser to our server). We need this information for proper rate
limiting and knowing when we might have to contact a site operator and
tell them to find another tile source.

I'm in favour of privacy too but please spend a moment to think what
would happen if everyone did what you do - we'd never know who uses our
tiles, at all, and hence we'd be unable to allocate our resources for
the maximum benefit of all.

Bye
Frederik