[OSM-dev] changes in coastline are not rendered

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 9 10:21:37 UTC 2016

On 08/02/16 18:51, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi,
>

> pleasse see this way:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/396163254
>
> It was changed more than 3 days ago and the change is not rendered.
>
> I understand that coastline ways are special, but that seems too long
> for me.
>
> Any hints why this takes so long ?
>

> ciao,
>
> Gerd

Hi Gerd,

This part of the coastline of 3.3 km consists from 238 nodes. It is not
too much yet. Sometimes I meet a small lake which could be seven hundred
nodes.

In JOSM there is a tool SHIFT+Y (Simplify Way). After Simplify Way the
same 3.3 km would be just 102 nodes.

I did not change this particular coastline. But usually when I see too
many nodes (in my opinion) for a way in JOSM, I make SHIFT+Y and then
add some more nodes to adjust the shape. I do not know if it is the
right way, but I think that too large number of nodes could be a heavy
load for the database and for the rendering program.

On the other hand, I am in doubt, - perhaps, people invested a lot of
time and labor in clicking these hundreds and hundreds of nodes, to make
a nice looking map, and I am not sure if I am doing the right thing with
the tool SHIFT+Y (Simplify Way). Maybe this excessive number of nodes is
negligible for the database and rendering?

Still this tool, SHIFT+Y (Simplify Way), exists. And it also could be
that a large quantity of nodes is created automatically by some image
recognition AI program, or from a GPS trace, and a user was just not
aware of this tool.

With best regards,
Oleksiy