[OSM-dev] Migrating osm.org to vectors/Kartotherian

Stadin, Benjamin Benjamin.Stadin at heidelberg-mobil.com
Sat Jan 2 03:33:54 UTC 2016

Somewhat „ambitious" idea,  but why should it not be possible to store non-projected (WGS84 datum) data and do the projection in realtime when using vector "tiles". Vector data tiling is mainly about efficient disk storage and scalability (and versatility), and doesn’t necessarily refer to skewed data.

For example, why not distribute WGS84 vector data in a "MODIS grid" (http://modis-land.gsfc.nasa.gov/MODLAND_grid.html), and let a GL shader do the screen transformation to a Mercator or other projection (https://github.com/rjw57/proj4webgl/blob/master/proj/merc.glsl).

> First of all if you don't use the tiles as tiles but merge them into a
> full data set again there is no point in generating them in the first
> place of course.

Somewhat unrelated to the discussion, but this is indeed a real problem with vector tiles. You have to stitch polygons together again, or workaround several rendering challenges (e.g. draw an outline that’s been defined by style for a polygon which has been tiled). This is not really a completely solved problem, even less when you are in 3D  perspective and you have to stitch together geometry data of different LOD.