[OSM-dev] OSM PBF and spatial characteristics of blocks

Andrew Byrd andrew at fastmail.net
Tue Jan 5 17:56:07 UTC 2016

Hello,

It’s interesting to see more demand for grabbing up-to-date chunks of PBF around the world.

Keep in mind that while OSMPBF is an essential export format (as the most efficient widely used OSM data format), it is not the only option for storing the OSM entities in your spatially indexed / geographically clustered planet-scale container.

We’ve got similar needs (storage of OSM data at planet scale, rapid extraction of up-to-date, compact binary OSM data for any location) and created the Vanilla Extract project to meet these needs. There’s the original C version (which is fast but doesn’t do minutely updates) and a newer MapDB based Java version that does minutely updates but seems less performant in practice.

You might be able to extend or borrow code from these projects to meet your needs:
https://github.com/conveyal/vanilla-extract <https://github.com/conveyal/vanilla-extract>
https://github.com/conveyal/osm-lib/blob/master/src/main/java/com/conveyal/osmlib/VanillaExtract.java <https://github.com/conveyal/osm-lib/blob/master/src/main/java/com/conveyal/osmlib/VanillaExtract.java>

Regards,
Andrew Byrd