[OSM-dev] Usage of the standard dev server

Pichler, Markus mpichler at init-ka.de
Mon Jan 11 13:16:00 UTC 2016

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding the usage of the dev server reachable under http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/.
I wanted to use this server for some JOSM testing and did what was described here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sandbox_for_editing.
It says on that page that the dev server is mostly empty, but if you go to the page http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/ it shows the entire world, just like the main openstreetmap.org site. However, if I do a download request in JOSM, it is empty. So my question is: Why is the map not a representation of the database on the dev server, showing basically nothing except in those places where somebody uploaded something for test purposes? Or am I missing something here?

Markus