[OSM-dev] Modeling OSM sidewalk data

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Wed Jul 13 08:30:39 UTC 2016

>> Il giorno 12 lug 2016, alle ore 11:15, Komяpa <me at komzpa.net> ha scritto:
>>
>> Both ways are only applicable to cities with blocky structure.
>> In ex-USSR, architecture of cities is different, and footways / sidewalks graph is more complicated than a replica of roads for cars, so all the sidewalks have to be drawn separately.
>
> There are sidewalks (alongside roads) and other footpaths, just like everywhere else (but in different proportions). You can decide to draw the sidewalks separately or not (like anywhere else), while you have in any case to draw the independent footways with their own geometry.
>
> cheers,
> Martin

To understand an architecture of a city, especially of a sidewalks
system, we should realize that it was formed to a large degree by the
auto industry lobbying [1]. Obviously, in North America and Western
Europe this process began several decades earlier than in Eastern
Europe, so sidewalks and footpaths system is indeed somewhat different.

However, an emerging global trend of Walkable Development is starting to
transform cities once again [2].

[1] "Creeps and Weirdos: the auto industry agenda for keeping you on
four wheels"

http://www.preventioninstitute.org/about-us/lp/800-creeps-and-weirdos-the-auto-industry-agenda-for-keeping-you-on-four-wheels.html

[2] KC Conspiracy Theorists: Walkable Development Will “Devastate” Auto
Giants

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/05/24/kc-conspiracy-theorists-walkable-development-will-devastate-auto-giants/

Best regards,

Oleksiy