[OSM-dev] editing OSM-files with Java

Jakob Miksch jakob.miksch at posteo.eu
Tue Jun 7 13:29:41 UTC 2016

Dear list members,

I want to edit OSM-files with Java.

I would like to add virtual ways to highway areas in order to allow a
routing engine to compute routes through such areas. Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptt1db77wnxv5kr/example.png?dl=0

So, basically many new nodes and ways will be added and the boundary of
the area will receive more nodes.

For input and output both the ".osm" and ".osm.pbf" format should be
supported.

Moreover the solution should also work for big datasets (country,
continent or even planet).
Since just a small share of all features (highway areas make up a share
of ~1% of all highway features) would be changed, it would probably make
sense just to edit the OSM-file. Writing the whole OSM-data to another
file might take more time than necessary.

I already found the "osm4j" library which sounds quite promising
(http://www.topobyte.de/projects/osm4j/).

Do you think this plan sounds feasible, do you have any suggestions for
the implementation?

Best wishes,
Jakob