[OSM-dev] Mukti and Gargi fonts for openstreetmap-carto

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Jun 9 23:06:29 UTC 2016

On 6/7/2016 2:44 AM, Sven Geggus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install all required fonts for openstreetmap-carto on debian
> stable.
>
> Two fonts seem to be troublesome:
> "Mukti Narrow Bold" and "gargi Medium"
>
> While the former seems to be there
> (/usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-beng-extra/MuktiNarrowBold.ttf) but is not
> found by fc-match -s for some reason, the other one just seems to have gone
> from the Debia/Ubuntu repositories. It seems to have been replace by
> "Gargi Regular".
>
> Any hint on how to install?
>
> I worked around the gargi font problem by downgrading the fonts-deva-extra
> package to 2.0, but I havee no Idea about the Mukti dont.

As Ubuntu and Debian packages are mostly common, I expect that the
package name problems I had when switching Ubuntu versions are present
on Debian too. A lot of apt-cache searching might be required to find
the current names.

For the specific issue of gargi, on Ubuntu 14.04 it is
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-indic-fonts-core/gargi.ttf from
ttf-indic-fonts-core, and /usr/share/fonts/truetype/Gargi/Gargi.ttf is
supplied from fonts-gargi.

fc-query names the former gargi and the latter Gargi. They are not the
same weight either, gargi is Medium with a weight of 100 and Gargi is
Regular with a weight of 80. gargi has better coverage and more
capabilities, but a lower version.

Something I've found when researching fonts for Asian languages is that
the versioning, releases, name consistency, and other releasing
engineering matters are often inadequate. Coupled to this, many webpages
for fonts disappear after a few years.

If someone can come up with appropriate font names and package names
that work on Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, Debian stable, and Debian testing,
please open an issue:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues