[OSM-dev] WG: Merkaartor creates invalid highway tags like highway=unclassified; track

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 09:55:16 UTC 2016

On 15/03/2016 09:37, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> reg. the ediors: As I wrote before I don't know what one has to do to
> create the invalid tags,
>
> my concern is that it is too easy to do without intention. If that is
> true it should be fixed in the editor.

Everyone involved - OpenStreetMap mappers, authors of editors and
everyone else - is a volunteer.

If there's a problem with an editor (or any other piece of software)
someone, somewhere has to figure out how to reproduce the problem
reliably.  I suspect that the best person to do this is the person who
seems to care most about the "problem" data being created, which in this
case I suspect is you.

It can be tricky (see
https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/48637/why-does-id-keep-undoing-my-name-changes
for an unrelated, but similarly difficult-to-reproduce issue) but if you
care enough that "it should be fixed" you'll need to put in the effort
to explaining what the problem is in the first place.

However, this is still all a bit of a red herring - as I said in a
previous reply if one of the ways being merged didn't have the tag being
merged onto it, the data would still be incorrect, amd the only way to
solve that is by an educational, rather than a technical, response.

Cheers,

Andy