[OSM-dev] Tilemaker v1.4

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Nov 7 20:10:21 UTC 2016

On 11/7/2016 9:28 AM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Really pleased to announce a new version of Tilemaker on github:
>
> https://github.com/systemed/tilemaker
>
> Tilemaker is a command-line application that makes vector tiles in one
> hit, directly from an .osm.pbf file. There is no database and no
> stack. Everything is kept in RAM so it's best suited for country-size
> extracts.
>
> v1.4 is many times faster than previous versions thanks to Shunsuke
> Shimizu's great work on making tile output multithreaded.

To quantify this, it is 3x as fast on my 4 core system and uses about
the same RAM. It takes about 3 minutes for a 400MB PBF and a very simple
conversion, with 4GB of RAM usage. Larger extracts or more complex
vector tiles will take longer and more RAM.

The real advantage of tilemaker with small areas is that you can run it
and upload the tiles to virtual any web host and the ops side is easy.