[OSM-dev] Anybody using libosmium with GEOS?

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Thu Oct 27 13:48:47 UTC 2016

Hi!

GEOS 3.6 has changed its C++ interface and they recommend not to use it
anyway, but use the C interface. I have support for creating GEOS
geometries in libosmium using the C++ interface and am wondering what do
do with it. Is anybody using that interface in libosmium? I am not using
it myself and dont't want to support a changing GEOS interface if nobody
actually uses it.

I see several ways foreward here:
* Use some #ifdef magic and support the old and new interface
* Switch to the C API of GEOS
* Remove the code entirely

Of course, removing any code would probably mean deprecating it first,
and removing it at a later date. I would probably have to wrap the code
into #ifdefs to switch it off with later GEOS versions so the compile
doesn't fail if you happen to have a newer GEOS version.

Any opinions?

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688