[OSM-dev] TileServer GL: OpenStreetMap raster tile server with MapBox GL Native renderer + vector tiles

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 00:21:34 UTC 2016

This is what I imagined some time ago and now it's finally real ;) As
awesome as they are, vector tiles for long will have to live along
with raster tiles and this development puts the missing piece in
place.
Couple of questions:
1) If software rendering performs well enough, are there any other
bottlenecks besides I/O?
2) Raster tiles don't load nearly as fast as eg. default style on
osm.org, is it due to free access token limitations?
3) There's no way to force raster tiles in order to see them in
action. I had to disable WebGL in Firefox, can you make it switchable
so capabilities can be demonstrated readily?
4) What architectures are supported? Could it run on a Pi? Older ARMv6
ones too (I guess not)?
5) How does it compare to PostGIS/Mapnik/renderd/Apache stack in terms
of performance?

I think this is a great opportunity and with raster tiles we could
make some OSM2VectorTiles style featured on osm.org. With some clever
DNS tricks I suppose, we could even run a distributed tile CDN from
people's desktops, because why not.

Michał