[OSM-dev] RFC: OSM data format MIME types

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Sep 15 03:55:16 UTC 2016

I'm planning on registering MIME types for OSM formats in the vendor
tree and could use feedback. If you're unfamiliar with registering MIME
types, https://github.com/mapbox/vector-tile-spec/issues/48 is a
reasonable overview for a registration that took place with a different
format.

The obvious type for OSM XML is application/vnd.osm+xml, but there are a
few unanswered questions

- Is .osc a different type? I'm think yes. Tools that parse one don't
normally accept the other in its place, they normally have different
file suffixes, and the top-level XML elements are different.

- Is osc returned from the server a different type from what is
uploaded? I'm inclined towards no. This is more a matter of selection of
valid identifiers.

- Where does history fit in

I'm inclined towards

- application/vnd.osm+xml for OSM XML

- application/vnd.osm.osc+xml for OsmChange XML

- application/vnd.osm.osh+xml for historical XML

- application/vnd.osm.osmpbf for current data PBFs. pbf is not a MIME
suffix.

- application/vnd.osm.oshpbf for historical PBFs.

- application/vnd.osm.o5m

- application/vnd.osm.o5c

I'm not sure where to slot changeset data into this. Changeset data can
be present in an OSM XML file alongside other data (e.g. with planet
dumps) or standalone.