[OSM-dev] GSoC API mentoring help needed

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Feb 20 01:04:31 UTC 2017

Much to my surprise, I have 2-4 students issued in my API-related GSoC
proposals. This is more than one person or even two people can mentor,
so I'm asking for help. The cgimap-ruby, cgimap read-only support,
cgimap write support, and make the website use the API

Some of the proposals involve cgimap, and I'm probably the best suited
to mentor those because I'm one of the three significant cgimap
contributors. Instead, there's two proposals well suited to someone else.

1. cgimap-ruby

I don't yet have a student interested in this, but I'd like to see if
one of the ones who has contacted me is. This could use a mentor who has
dealt with ruby gems before, which I haven't. I have a feeling this part
of the work isn't enough for a full project, so it could pull in
something from a different API-related proposal.

2. website from API

This is a project to change parts of the website to call the API instead
of the database for object information. Good candidate pages would be
the object browse ones (/node/<id>, etc). There are two different
technical approaches to this, and depending on which route a student
takes, the mentor might need different skills. The first of these is to
do the processing of API results on the server and return HTML to the
client, like http://osm.mapki.com/history/ does. The second is to do the
processing of API results on the client with Javascript, like
http://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history/ does. For the first, the
student would be reproducing existing HTML output so the mentor would
need knowledge of ruby and API calls. For the second, client-side
javascript would be needed, but less ruby.

If you're interested and available to help mentor, please contact me