[OSM-dev] Removing functionality and giving just No as answer

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM blake.girardot at hotosm.org
Fri Feb 24 14:43:01 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 24/02/2017 11:19, Tom Hughes wrote:
>>

>> Well it was a little odd that we suddenly got several people who are not
>> regular commenters turning up in the space of a few minute to add "me too"
>> style responses.
>>

> What's wrong with that? There are numerous discussions in Dev that I have no
> interest in, but on occasion there's something relevant to my OSM usage & I
> will make a comment. This current topic appears to be relevant to a few
> other users.
>
> OSM Github is not a private club. You should be welcoming other
> contributors, not 'closing' on them.
>
> DaveF

I second this 100%!

If something is of interest to someone and they know other
stakeholders who have similar use cases or the feature is important to
them, getting them to actually contribute their input is really an
invaluable opportunity for developers.

No one person is ever going to be able to imagine how the 1000's of
users of OSM might have needs. This was a great example (maybe) of
someone taking the time to find others who have similar needs and
getting them to share their user stories as well.

I actually doubt that is what happened, but instead that users who
take the time to follow the project just happened to have similar use
cases and joined the conversation. They probably represent many other
users.

I would also say that well added UI for power users, educates and
helps build skills and knowledge in all users.

All that said, the time and dedication people like TomH, Lonvia,
bhousel and the other contributors to the OSM ecosystem contribute is
incredible and we would be in a very different place without them. And
the feedback on this thread is very valuable to helping make the
community better so thank you all for speaking up and sharing your
perspective.

Cheers
Blake
Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: info at hotosm.org