[OSM-dev] OpenStreetMap accepted for this year's GSoC

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Tue Feb 28 09:06:55 UTC 2017

Hi,

There was a misunderstanding concerning the new Engineering Working
Group. We had that group for a while, it discussed a lot of engineering
topics, became a group for programmers and fizzled out two years ago.

The new EWG is not the same group. Programmers will have nothing to do
on it. The EWG now is for managing developers and development projects.
Basically it connects new developers with OSM-related projects, helping
them find a suitable task, and helping OSM-related projects with finding
new developers. EWG members do not write code (as members) and do not
tell projects maintainers what to do.

The first - and for a time, the only - task is managing the Google
Summer of Code and its projects. We believe that it would be better done
by a group than by a single person, like it was last year. If you want
to join, known fully that it is a management, not development group, we
would be glad to have your help. Be prepared that your ideas will be put
on hold: we are starting slow.

The old EWG and the new one are completely different (though the stated
goals overlap), so we start the member list from scratch. I told the
"old EWG" members about the transition last Summer, and if any of them -
and any of you - want to join, you are welcome to enroll and help the
project.

Also, Peter forgot the link to the Mumble settings and instructions
page: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble

Timezone-aware meeting date:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EWG+Meeting&iso=20170228T20&ah=1

Ilya