[OSM-dev] Andy Allan joining web site maintainers

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Mon Jul 10 12:25:38 UTC 2017

On 10 July 2017 at 11:14, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tom. My intentions for the next few months are to continue to
> do whatever I can to encourage new contributors. I've done a lot of
> refactoring recently which will help whoever tries to make code
> changes, but there's other things I think I can do too.

Currently, the openstreetmap-website is both responsible for the
openstreetmap.org web application, and for the API.

How hard would it be to separate these two functions, perhaps even
into two projects?

Would there be any advantages in doing so? Intuitively both functions
seem to be separate projects. I could imagine having two smaller
applications might make maintenance easier. It would also mean we
could, for example phase Ruby out for the app but not for the api or
vice versa. Lastly, making the website make only use of well-defined
api endpoints instead of interface with the database directly might
also makes things clearer.

Have there been any thoughts in this direction?

-- Matthijs