[OSM-dev] Increase Zoom Level of OSM server

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 10:32:39 UTC 2017

On 18/07/2017 09:24, amisha budhiraja wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to increase the zoom level of my own OSM server to more than
> 20.

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/mod_tile/tree/zoom

should do what you want, up to zoom 28.  See the links from
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/39423 and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:SomeoneElse/mod_tile_28 for
details about the changes needed.

Important notes:

After applying this change you'll need to delete and cached metatiles
that you might have, since the path to each one is now different.

If you are dirtying tiles then note that neither osm2pgsql nor
render_expired like a very large MAXZOOM passed to them when updating a
rendering database, so another strategy is needed to deal with very high
zoom tiles (such as deleting them nightly).

An example of a map using that mod_tile is
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html , which supports native
zooms up to 24 (25 is overzoomed 24).

Best Regards,

Andy