[OSM-dev] osm-carto v3 - end of life?

Hartmut Holzgraefe hartmut.holzgraefe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 06:58:33 UTC 2017

On 20.07.2017 22:29, Daniel Koć wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for the users who are deploying default OSM map style
> (openstreetmap-carto) from series v3.
>
> There is v4 series available for few weeks already, but the problem is
> you need to reload database for this upgrade, which might be a problem.
[...]
> So I'd like to ask if anybody is concerned about making v3 series
> officially unsupported now and moving on only with v4?

I still haven't found the time to look into backwards compatibility of
the v4 database schema. I'm running a multitude of styles from the same
v3-with-hstore-all database (OSMBright, OpenTopomap, HikiBikeMap, ...),
and do not have the disk capacity to store v3 and v4 databases in parallel.

If it is possible to render v3, and so all the other styles that
currently use the v3 schema (or variants with additional columns on
top that can be served by simple hstore-based VIEWs) from a v4
database I'm fine and can plan for a full re-import.

Same if v3 schema can be emulated by wrapping simple views around
a v4 schema.

Otherwise I'd be stuck with v3 for a long time as doubling disk space
to hold both database versions is not an option for me (hosting fees
for that would go up non-linear at this point, so instead of double
I'd have to pay at lest 4x ...)

--
hartmut