[OSM-dev] How to use transifex for osm ?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jun 22 05:59:52 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 22.06.2017 03:33, Shrinivasan T wrote:
> I am looking for translating street names and poi in tamil language.
> How to use transifex for this?

If an object really has a name in the Tamil language, then we would add
a "name:ta" tag to the object (and not use transifex). Of course this
name will not automatically show up on any map - you'll have to
configure your own map rendering engine to use the name:ta tags. (But it
will automatically be considered in th standard search engine.)

Please only use this name:xx mechanism in situations where the object
does have a name in that language. Never use it to "translate" names.
For example, if there's a street in a small town in France called "rue
de la gare", it would be wrong to add "name:en=Station Street" just
because that is the correct translation of the name! You would only do
this in an area that is bi-lingual or where the name "Station Street" is
at least locally understood.

Bye
Frederik