[OSM-dev] Requesting for further instructions

Subhani Munasinghe sashee1992 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 19:01:44 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

     As I was given some instructions to select a project idea, I went
through the project idea list in

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2017/Project_Ideas
.

     I am very interested in three project ideas there. Even though I have
to select one idea eventually, I would love to know about all those three.
These are the three projects in I am interested and I would love to
contribute to one of them.

   1. Improve Postcode Handling (under Nominatim)
   2. Improve Reverse Geocoding Algorithm for Nominatim (under Nominatim)
   3. Make the website use the API (under API)

      I have done some university project works using *PHP* and I am
currently self learning *postgresql*. Also, I have completed my 5 months
internship and there I worked in a project in which *Java, SQL *and* Git* were
heavily used.

     What I have done up to now is, created an account in www.osm.org  and
mapped some data. I got a very good basic idea about how the map grows.
Also I read the documentation about *imports* and got a brief idea about
how it works. I practiced how to add objects into map like points, roads,
areas, tags etc. And it is very very interesting.

      Now, what I want to know is how to start to do some work in order to
get familiar with the above mentioned 3 projects. I already forked and
cloned the source code repository of *Nominatim *from
https://github.com/openstreetmap/Nominatim. But I didn't try any coding
because I don't have any idea. So what should be my next step ?

Thanks in advance !