[OSM-dev] PHP vs. Ruby in OSM projects

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Mar 21 01:50:26 UTC 2017

On 3/20/2017 9:22 AM, Hakuch wrote:
> What do you think, are there more php or more ruby developers in OSM ?
> Normally within open source projects people tend to use ruby, but many
> times I saw small projects coded in php. Iam currently unsure if I
> should start a new project with php/symfony or ruby/rails.

It depends. For projects that produce webpages, there's probably more
Ruby activity than PHP activity. Python is also pretty popular.

For web-based APIs, I don't see PHP often used in OSM. Ruby on rails and
Python are both common, and you also see Go, nodejs, and C++.

All of these languages have advantages and disadvantages and none of
them is appropriate for everything.