[OSM-dev] Programatic reconstruction of postal code areas

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Mar 28 22:00:01 UTC 2017

On 28/03/17 22:24, Alex K wrote:

> Basically I'm using a semi-automatic process which takes all the know
> data points (e.g. buildings/nodes with an explicit postal code tagged to
> them) in OSM, generate voronoi cells and then merge them to larger
> regions. Then I do manually editing and clean up in my tool (aligning
> boundaries more nicely, reducing number of nodes, etc) and finally want
> to import the results as new relations into OSM. I did some evaluations
> on Austria against a real life data set and although the computed
> regions can only be an approximation, it did improve the quality of
> answers a lot! I did some basic write up of the details plus screenshots
> here:

Invented non-real world data like this simply doesn't belong in
OpenStreetMap I'm afraid.

I mean feel free to generate these areas and make them available for
geocoding etc but they're not real things and they clearly can't be
verified by anybody because they don't actually exist.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/