[OSM-dev] GSoC Proposal: OSM Dynamic Attributes Linter

Wisnu Adi Nurcahyo wisnu at nurcahyo.me
Wed Mar 29 13:36:57 UTC 2017

Hello!
I'm Wisnu Adi Nurcahyo, an Informatics Engineering student from Telkom
University at Bandung, Indonesia. I'm interested to join GSoC in
OpenStreetMap organization.
I've submitted a proposal draft titled "OSM Dynamic Attributes Linter"
which didn't have a mentor for me.
Please review my proposal. I'm really glad if someone would be my mentor.
In case you can't see the proposal, I will writes the abstract here.

Abstract
-------------

Sometimes contributor didn't follows the naming convention in their country
and ignore it. Or, some contributors didn't know the naming convention in
it's country. We need dynamic linter with custom presets to solves this
problem.

With this linter, everyone may writes their own rules in the presets. This
mean every rules maybe created and standardized. Then, OSM attributes will
be clean.

Motivation

---------------

In Indonesia, especially Kalimantan. There are many "bad" data. An example
is an attribute of SMAN 1 Bintang Ara (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/400611340). It's a Senior High School.
But, the "school:type_idn" had an attribute is Elementary School and didn’t
have an address attribute.

Not only in Kalimantan, Papua also had a same problem. An example is an
attribute of this data (http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/183960297) in
Papua. The “admin_level” attribute must be a number. But, it’s not a
number. The “addr:full” attribute also have a bad data. So, depend on this
problem, I can build rules and writes a presets which will improve data
quality for every places in Indonesia, and the world.

Thanks! :D