[OSM-dev] Fwd: Printing to PDF

Bjoern Hassler bjohas+mw at gmail.com
Sat May 27 09:40:11 UTC 2017

Dear all,

thanks for comments!

I basically want to preserve the detail, e.g. buildings. It's a rural area
(Fiwila, Zambia), so even after extensively mapping roads and buildings
(thanks for new DG Premium), there isn't that much data (e.g. about 2,000
buildings in the area).

(1) maposmatic - this works well - thanks for maintaining this
https://maposmatic.osm-baustelle.de/. Plus the overlaid grid would allow us
to discuss issues quite easily. People could draw on the map, and take
picture of the square - easy to amend OSM then. So that's great. What's the
spacing algorithm for the grid? Round number of km? That would be very
useful.

However, when I try to capture a larger area, it doesn't show buildings.
https://maposmatic.osm-baustelle.de/maps/2960/YitJcomYWseZgmbH. However, if
the roads were rendered thinner, buildings could still be shown. The full
area is something like 40km (N-S) and 60km (E-W), but I'd be happy to have
two sets 40km by 30km. There are some additional features I'd like to show,
but these could be added using GPX waypoints - haven't tried that yet, but
I guess waypoints are rendered? or just tracks?

(2) I didn't understand this:
> 20x30km isn't that big really. Is the export option on the OSM map not
sufficient?
As far as I can see, the export on openstreetmap.org only gives me the OSM
data? Or am I missing something? I can of course print from the browser,
but for a large area, this gives me low resolution.

(3) I would have been quite happy with writing my own MapCSS (though
ideally not another format specification), but I guess something like
"command data.osm map.css output.pdf" doesn't exist? (Where command doesn't
have complicated dependencies...) I definitely don't want to spend a long
time setting something up - it's a one off. I guess the best option is
mapnik? It has homebrew for OS X, and might be most flexible, as it would
allow me to tweak the humanitarian carto style as well.

(4) Maperitive  seems to be cross platform - so I'll look at that too!

(5) A related question is to produce an atlas - similar to field papers.
The idea is that the large map can go on the wall in the health centre, and
people can use the atlas for driving around (and of course maps.me when
people manage to charge their phones - there's no mains electricity, and
people tend to have old / basic phones). Field papers is great and easy to
use, but ideally I would like some overlap between pages (as a road atlas
does), and the QR isn't needed. Most importantly, I'd like to render /
highlight some features that aren't in the standard style. I guess I could
use mapnik again? And just iterate over my area? I found this tutorial
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Moresby/Understanding_Mapnik so
mapnik is pretty flexible it seems.

Many thanks!
Bjoern